Thursday, August 2, 2007

Dondurma

Surprise! Turkish ice cream (dondurma) is chewy. And solid enough to eat with a knife and fork -- I've seen it happen (this particular scoop was atop a pile of baklava). According to a recent article in the New York Times Turkish ice cream is also high in soluble fiber and low in cholesterol. Great!

My favorite thing about Turkish ice cream is the variety of flavors. They're simple -- sour cherry, tutti-frutti (vanilla with dried fruit), caramel, pistachio, chocolate, cream -- but so clean tasting compared to typical American ice cream. Turks pile these flavors on top of one another, in seeming disregard for flavor combinations. Cherry atop caramel below lemon for instance sounds less than appetizing to me, although the chocolate, caramel, vanilla combo is quite tasty, as I have verified on several occasions. Don't get me wrong... I love ice cream in all of its various incarnations, whether chewy or smooth. Before I came here, I had no idea that ice cream could be different.

But for now, back to nominal clauses. Maybe once I finish my homework I will wander across the street for some more dondurma action....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

but there is something to be said about 1300 calories of decadent delish from cold stone...